The first requirement before you start an import/ export business in India is
to obtain an IEC. An IEC is necessary for import/export of goods. In case the
import/export is of services or technology, IEC is required in only limited
circumstances, when import/export is in 'specified services' or 'specified
technologies', i.e. services or technologies in which international trade is
restricted by the Government of India as they pertain to national security,
such as dealing in nuclear weapons, automatic guns, etc.
- A scanned or digital copy of valid Permanent Account Number (PAN). Image file should consist of both
side of PAN.
- Scanned or digital photograph of applicant.
- Scanned copy of Bank Certificate.
- Scanned copy of PAN , applicant Photograph , Bank Certificate should in gif format. Exporters are
advised to used the compressed version of gif formats.
- Other mandatory documents as per the Para 2.9 of Handbook of Procedures of Vol I 2009-14. These
documents must be in pdf format only. Please refer to Appendix A.
- Make sure that size of individual document requires to be submit online in gif /pdf format should not
exceed 300 KB.
- Exporter must have a Net banking account with one of the following designated banks a) HDFC BANK
b) ICICI BANK c) BANK OF INDIA d) STATE BANK OF INDIA e) CENTRAL BANK OF INDIA f) PUNJAB
NATIONAL BANK g) IDBI h) UTI/AXIS BANK i) UNION BANK OF INDIA
- All date should be entered in DD.MM.YYYY format.
- If an applicant is Non resident Indian (NRI) and there is non-resident interest in the firm/company
and non-resident investment with repatriation benefits in the firm it is mandatory to submit the
scanned copy of RBI approval letter.
- All fields marked as (*) are mandatory.
- Please make the popup blocker off in your browser setting.
- Before submitting the IEC online application applicant must ensure that the documents attached are
properly visible and complete otherwise application likely to be treated as deficient.
- IMPORTER EXPORTER CODE ( in short IEC ) is a ten digit number granted by Directorate General
of Foreign Trade under Ministry of Commerce and Industry, to any bonafide person/ company
for carrying out import/export.
- obtained from any of the Zonal and Regional offices of Director General of Foreign Trade
depending on area/region where the individual/company is located.
- Need/Use of IEC IEC forms the primary document for recognition by Government of India as an
Exporter/Importer. On the basis of IEC, companies can obtain various benefits on their
exports/imports from DGFT, Customs, Export Promotion Council etc.
- An application has to be submitted online at dgft web site at http://dgft.gov.in